Friday, December 15, 2006

Alternators and Starters

ok, so for those of you that don't know, I work at an alternator and starter shop. For other of you that know what exactly those are and what they do, well you are way ahead of me. Today my boss decides that I need to learn about then and other car related things so that I can give estimates over the phone and stuff. So he starts out "basic".. there are 3 different groups of both starters and 3 different groups of alternators. I'm thinking ok thats easy enough right.. well alternators either have the fan internal or external and the regulators internal and external.. the newer ones have both inside.. I'm thinking ok ok the fan is obvious, if i can see it its external. Then after a lot more explanation.. that i couldn't even begin to repeat cause he might as well have been speaking another language, he moves onto starters. Then there are a whole lot of abreviations, and each has a whole sentence practically to explain it... and by this point I'm just staring at the computer screen like a deer caught in the headlights. He asks me questions and I'm just silent.. I am so not interested in cars, I turn the key and it goes.. and when it doesn't I trade cars with Jaxon for the day.. I mean thats why I got married! Before Jaxon was my Daddy. So, now i am deciding if I want to try and learn this new language, which lets face it if I still have no idea after working there for 5 months I'm never going to, or just wait out the next 4 months until I get to quit. They knew I knew nothing about cars when they hired me, why now is it an issue? My boss is this weirdo looking guy with a long beard and mustage that half gray.. and this curly mullet thing. He makes no sense and yet thinks he is so good with people. People come in all the time and he will talk to them about there cars for like 20 minutes and then leave.. and they lean over to me and ask what the heck was he talking about? Not cause they have my sickness of lack of knowledge in the car department.. but because he rambles on and on and has no social skills. It makes my job so hard I have to quess what he is asking me to do, and then if i try and verify what he really wants me to do, he says well yeah this is whats going on we will go from here, and his favorite line is "so on and so forth" and he doesnt know how to use it! Anyways my job is kinda funny sometimes.

13 comments:

Cassie said...

I think it's a toss up crazy mean sick lady or freaky car guy...I don't know what I would pick! Maybe you should look into something else without crazy's! Good luck babe!

Anonymous said...

Wow Cori, you sure have had some interesting jobs. I'm with Cassie - look for something without the crazies! This guy sounds WIERD and stupid if he thinks he's going to get you interested in cars.

Anonymous said...

Can't you just get a job in the mall or something? Can't Jaxon translate for him so you can understand, cause does't Jaxon speak car and Cori?

Anonymous said...

P.S. Can you use a bigger font next time? I'm getting old and my eyesight aint what it used to be. See you on FRIDAY!!!!!!

Beth said...

Yea.. wow.. that is TOTALLY not my language either. I have NO IDEA about cars except for where the key and the gas goes. That's really most important, right? Good luck to you.. and, so on and so forth. ;)

Cori said...

Hey 4 more months and I wont have to work at all! I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnell!! I'll probably go back to school or something then.. like thats any better.

Erin said...

why don't you have to work anymore...get me on that life plan. and I can totally see you sitting there at your little desk with the "deer in the headlights" look on your face pretending like you know what he is talking about. also, could you please sneak a picture of the guy with the curly mullet and grey mustache cause i think that would be some good entertainment. thank you.

Anonymous said...

That's funny, I was just reading a book on alternaters and starters last night. I'm in agreement with lori on the font, I had to use my bifocals on my alternater to read it!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Chris, you are quite the reader now. So you are an expert on Dreyfus, cooking, and alternaters/starters. You must have finally closed that Pinsky file.

Anonymous said...

Fake it till you Make It !!
You are almost outta there, and remember in the future never work for a guy in a mullet.

Julia said...

Do you have a Christmas tree?? If so, i want to see.

Julia said...

Oh I also wanted to say, instead of "so on and so forth" someone I know says "and everything like that" after every sentence. I can't say who because someone related might see this... and everything like that

Julia said...

Ok where are the beach pictures?? I want to see Jaxon diving into the freezing surf with Charlie chasing after him!